Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vendor Luv:The Paper Couturiere

Hi Bloggers,

I'm super excited about the opportunity chat with Autumn at the Paper Couturière. We met via Twitter and I just had to get the low down on their fabulous paper products. Paper Couturière has tons of things happening including a newly updated website and super cool app (details to follow later) and lots more. Check it out!


How did you start Paper Couturière?
The Paper Couturière as a business, was formed gradually, over many
years. I never woke up one day and said to myself, "today is the day I
start a business". I'd been designing and handcrafting invitations for
years, and eventually it got to the point where I had to quit my job
working for Corrections Victoria, and focus solely on design.

How long have you been in business and what direction do you plan to move on with your hand made creations?
PC has been an actual business for close to 2 years. I'm still building my clientele, but already have clients who have come to me for more than 1 occasion. Eventually, I would like to spread my wings even further and, while still designing and handcrafting invitations and stationery, work with clients on branding and logo design.

Where are you based?
I'm in Melbourne Australia, but serve Australia wide and
international clients as well. As I'm American, I have a steady client
base from the US.

What are some of your favorite social networking sites?
4- My favourite networking site by far is Twitter. {@papercouturiere} I've met some wonderful people and have formed some great working relationships with many of them. Although I do use Facebook to post new photos; tips; ideas, etc, I find that it's not as interactive with clients and/or vendors as Twitter. I also like Twitter better because it's more fast paced. If I ask someone a question or ask for advice, I get the answer within minutes rather than asking the same question on FB, I may not get an answer at all. This has happened to me before when I've posted questions on Facebook, so, I focus on Twitter.

What makes you stand out from your competitors?
I stand out from my competitors in Australia because of my costing and the nature of my design. Although I do have some digital designs, the majority of my collection is handcrafted using the same techniques and skills that I've learned over the years through my love of scrapbooking. I use different layers; elements, and textures that all come together to make a wonderfully unique piece of paper art. Although I do like digital design, and it is another form of artwork, in my opinion, I believe it takes a different, more in depth skill to go back to basics and create your art using adhesives; paper; scissors, and embellishments. I enjoy that it's much more labour intensive and, although this can drive up the cost of invitations, I still remain competitive to my all-digital-design counterparts.

What are some of the unique events your paper products have been used for?
I'm currently putting together Press Kits for My Wedding Concierge..no pictures on that yet...they're secret between Phyllis & I before the reveal.

What is one of the most over the top request you’ve ever received from a client?
I've not received really any over the top requests from clients. They've all been fairly straight forward and "normal", if that makes sense. But, if I ever get a client asking me to engrave their invitation on a grain of rice like we see at fairs and art shows, you'll be the first person I contact!

What are some of the latest color trends for couples tying the knot this season?
Turquoise. Turquoise is HUGE this wedding season. Pantone labeled it "The colour". That being said, my advise to brides is to not follow a trend just because it's a trend, because you won't be completely happy. If you genuinely love turquoise and want it as the main focal point regarding colour, then by all means, use it. No matter what, make sure whatever colour palette you choose, is one that "speaks to you", that makes you comfortable and happy, and one that completely reflects your event and your & your partners personalities.

How do you find the time to get all the “important” stuff done?
Sometimes, I don't find the time, and those are the days that I'm up until 2 or 3 in the morning. Everyday I take time out for myself and my family. That is priority numero uno for me. Everything else is secondary. I don't care what kind of deadline I'm up against, my family is first. I make it work. And lists? Well, I couldn't live without the good ol'fashioned list! I prioritize and make lists for lists. Somehow, someway, it all comes together.

Which show would best describe you?...and why? Platinum Weddings, Whose Wedding Is It Anyway or Bridezilla’s.
We don't have Platinum Weddings in OZ. I've never seen it and only last week heard about it for the first time. So that show definitely doesn't describe me. Bridezilla's is only shown sporadically so I don't really watch that either. I was a happy-go-lucky bride {who incidentally designed EVERYTHING from the centerpieces to music to flowers to decor to stationery..everything}, and not much stressed me out..so I definitely don't relate to Bridezilla's. I do watch Who's Wedding Is It Anyway from time to time. I would have to say that show definitely describes me the best. I love the organization of the planners and how no matter what goes wrong, they always find a way to make it work and it turns out stunning. I'm very much that way. Being a designer, there are sometimes kinks in the chain. I welcome those "kinks" because it reinforces to me that I really do have a talent. If I didn't, I would let those "kinks" take over me and I would lose control and throw in the towel. You gotta roll w/ the punches. I do. Everyday. And so do the wedding planners on the show. PS. Donnie Brown, if you're reading this, I ♥ you. Come to OZ so we can work together.

You can check out Paper Couturière at their chic website, on Twitter also on Facebook. Autumn and her team is also accessible via email at info@thepapercouturiere.com.au.

Here are a few photo's from Paper Couturière's extensive collection.



Thanks for blogging with us!
Signature Wedding Aisle Runners

0 comments: